Greetings all!
Did you know that lemon trees have thorns? I did not until recently – when I plucked a lemon from a neighborhood tree and got a painful surprise. Apparently, lemon and lime trees, similar to porcupines and hedgehogs, developed the thorns for protection.
Here are some other interesting botanical facts:
- All berries are fruit. But not all fruit are berries.
- Watermelons are berries. And so are cucumbers, cantaloupes, squash, and pumpkins! Banana, grape, melon, orange, and avocado are also berries.
- Strawberries and raspberries are NOT berries; they are “aggregate accessory fruits”, and apparently each tiny seed is technically an individual fruit. But unfortunately, one strawberry with multiple seeds does not count towards your daily recommended dose of fruit!
- And finally, I just discovered that I love drupes! Cherry, plum, peach, and olive are all drupes, also known as stone fruit. A drupe is a fleshy fruit that usually contains a single seed.
What did you think? Drop me a line!
Sources:
No comments:
Post a Comment