Monday, August 10, 2026

It’s Good to Do Nothing

Greetings all! 

Today, I had an amazing meditation session! In fact, it was so good that I listened to it three times in a row. And then one more time so I could transcribe it for you! 

“It’s good to do nothing. In meditation, you sit around and you do nothing, and at the same time, this doing nothing is an exploration that makes your life better.

 

And it all happens at once: the doing nothing, the exploring, and the making your life better. Somehow doing nothing improves everything.  

You arrive here, in this present moment, and you let yourself be here. You let everything be here - the sounds happening outside you, and these feelings and thoughts and sensations happening inside you. 

You just sit right here, in the middle of your life, and you do nothing and it’s good for you. 

So this sitting here, doing nothing, is absolutely the essence of meditation. And sometimes it’s easy, and sometimes it’s hard because our mind can be skittering around like a squirrel on the linoleum floor.  And if this is you today, you are in good company. [Side note: that made me laugh.]

And the move is to give your skittery mind something to do, something of your own choosing. You can choose to focus on your breath or on a sound outside. You choose something and then you do your best to stay with it. 

And you are just sitting here, being here, in this moment, sinking in, not trying to change anything or upgrade your situation. 

And you keep doing not much of anything. 

Sometimes subtle resistance can come up - It’s hard doing nothing, I need to do something. And that is fine. You can try to notice any impulses like that with some humor, maybe even compassion. And then you go back to doing nothing. And you are trusting as you do this, that something deep down is getting calmed, down in the depths, ever if the surface still feels jumpy. 

Nowhere to go, nothing to do. All these sounds and sensations are happening all on their own.  

Part of what’s good about doing nothing is this clearing out that can happen. It’s a bit like the noise of our busyness, all this constant pushing and pulling and scheming, it starts to cool out, just a bit. And as it does, then it can be this very simple feeling of being just a little more available to life. Like you have a little more space. It was just waiting here, all along. All you had to do was nothing.” 

I have to confess: I did 'upgrade my situation' before I started for a more relaxing experience - I wore toe separators, put a strawberry mask on my face, and had my legs up the wall. And after 3 rounds of doing nothing, I felt amazing and refreshed!

What did you think? Drop me a line! Or actually, don’t - go sit and do nothing! 

Sources: CALM

No comments:

Post a Comment